Monday, June 21, 2010

Money, Money, Money...

I need a financial advisor. I am admitting to the world that I have a spending problem. Never been good at keeping money in my pocket. For instance, I got paid last week and like every pay period, I wrote a list of the bills I pay mid month; I scratch off what I pay as I go. I made sure I paid my cable, Internet, and phone bill. I have a payment on this furniture set I bought for my room, I have my Citi student loan payment and depending on if I took care of the first half of my phone bill Verizon gets a piece of my check too. I'm good at paying all of my bills first at least...I thank God I have the money to pay my obligations, but then there is the rest of my money. I usually have a pretty good nest egg to get me through the two weeks until payday, so I'll buy groceries, maybe a new pump, an outfit to go with the pump. I used to buy drinks at the bar when I went out...then I'll buy the snacks after Tony gets us into the movies---and we go to the movies just about every weekend. I like to eat out, so that's another swipe of the card...get my drift? I have absolutely no discipline when it comes to money. So, despite the fact that I have this banging income for a single gal in America, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I have the mentality that I shouldn't have money in between my pay periods, I spend it because I have it and I know my pockets will be replenished come the first or the fifteenth! It's ridiculous that I feel like I have to spend my money just because I have it. I have no idea where this comes from, guys. I even took the initiative to set up my payroll so that 10% of my checks go straight into a credit union I opened a savings account at. It works because each pay period my savings account increases by about $100; I've been doing this for a while now, actually, but only have like $66 in my savings right now. That's right folks...I dip in there too! My man is so much better at holding onto money than I am, so I went to him and asked him to help me save. I wanted to give him the money I put aside, but he says that I should do this on my own to be more responsible...I suppose he's right. I need help!
And what's more is that I can't bring Jr. into the world and continue to practice my bad spending habits. This is something I've known for a while: I've always told myself that I'd chill on buying useless things because I want to have the funds to spend on a nice wedding for me and my love; or for a beautiful brick home with a sun room, home office, and a nice yard; or to put towards a down payment on a sexy white range rover --- I'd call her Pearl;) Most importantly, I want to be able to pay for Jr.'s piano or ballet lessons; I want to make sure Jr. has the most stylish cleats for football practice and throwback Jordan's that will make the other kids jealous. Jr. should have a flourishing college fund, whether he or she wants to go to continue school or not...see? I want my child to have the very best. Something my parents couldn't really give me because they were so young when they had me--and yea, I turned out great but I just want the option to completely spoil my kid because he or she will be great too and totally deserve it! But I have a few things to get in order first.
Since I'm no financial genius I can only do what I know to help myself get this monkey off my back, lol. The first phase of my plan is to pay off as much of my debt that I can handle right now. The bulk of that is coming from Jr.---already! I have about 6 doctor bills that I've been keep tracking of so far. One bill alone includes charges for the office visit, the urine sample, the blood work, the paps test---oh! And that beautiful picture that you're so overjoyed to get because it allows you to see your child?? yea, the ultrasound...that by itself it $142---it's under the "my responsibility" tab on the explanation of benefits I got from my insurance company...*sigh* . The bills keep coming, I'm surprised they don't charge a sitting fee for allowing me to wait in the office or $50 for a handshake when I meet my doctor. They may as well charge me the gowns they make me wear when I have to undress from the waist down---Momma always said "aint nothin for free"! I at least want to get as much as I can under control so Tony and I aren't strapped when it comes to spending the real money.
The second part of the phase is to find an apartment to house our new family. We've looked at 5 different apartments together so far. They're all in our price range except one---of course this is the one with the elaborate fitness center, sizable pool, and movie theater! Some of the units even have the perfect space for me to set up my work at home office. Why we went to this place, I don't know but I fell in love with it straight away. The place is about $350 out of our agreed range, but it includes water, utilities, cable, and sewage--totally worth it. Seeing this place made me wonder: if I had my finances together, could we move in? I want to live in a comfortable neighborhood with great benefits and a playground for Jr., but I want to be able to afford pampers too! It was a wake up call for me, not just these particular apartments but looking for a place, in general. I'm going to have to be on a more strict budget, then. I can't have my kid (or me) wanting for anything. I know Tony's here to take care of us, but I can't be anything but a contributing part of our relationship. We're in this together and I guess a little birdie decided to tell me today that it's time to grow up...
This is Flyy Preggo, OUT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment