Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4 years ago today...

Four years ago today, almost to the hour, my boyfriend and I made our relationship official. He took me out to dinner at California Dreaming--it was 3 months that day we met. I had the shrimp, he had the chicken (I'm kidding, I don't remember, lol). I wasn't old enough to drink, so I had a coke...I'm sure of that! Sounds romantic, right? Well, I thought he would ask the "big question" there but the ambiance was all wrong. It was loud, the food wasn't that great, and I was cold. So anyway, Tony asked me to be his girl while we were watching The Wedding Crashers on DVD after dinner that night. It was cute and just right. We've been together ever since and I love him with everything I have. Through all of our trials, I'm growing and learning so much more about myself. It's crazy how different we are, though: I'm loud, he's not. I'm a planner, he says: "take it a day at a time, Babe". I can be pretty spastic, but he's so calm and patient. When I'm in one of my erratic states, Tony's consistency calms me down. I think that's what makes relationships work: you absolutely have to have more opposing qualities than not with your significant other.
The relationship hasn't been perfect, by any means. We've been making it work 70 miles apart. He's from home and I just never left the city I went to college in. This was a major issue when I was younger and thought I was going to die if we didn't breathe the same air! But now, I'm OK with not seeing him all the time, although I miss him when we're not together. The long distance took a toll a couple of times, we took "breaks" from being boyfriend-girlfriend. I guess the challenges got to us. But we never acted like we were broken up...I think the longest we went without talking was 4 days! Last year was our longest separation; we are recently back together and I guess we just missed each other so much we just had to make a baby;) Anyway, the time "without" him made me realize what I needed to work on for myself and vice versa. We're much better for each other now. Good thing too, we have a kid to raise! And this in itself raises concerns...
I plan to finally make that move back home to be with him and care for our son or daughter(wow, that's the first time I've said that to myself). We have already talked about moving in, actually we finalized our decision the weekend before I found out about Jr. !I'm excited to start this chapter together...I know we'll have a great future, but I never thought I would have to be worried about getting used to living with a man and getting used to raising a child all at once. I mean, we've been together long enough to know how we each live day to day. I know it bothers him when I brush my hair and leave it the shedding on the floor. He still hasn't learned to put the toilet seat down when he's done with his business. Those are just tiny issues. I'm worried about learning to cook more than spaghetti and fried chicken. Those meals are not going to be enough now that I'll see him a lot more---gotta master a few more dishes! I have to pick up after myself more (he hates when I leave clothes all over the floor in MY ROOM) because he's way more of a neat freak than I am. There are several other things we have to get used to about each other, which is common. We have to simultaneously mesh parenting styles as well. I love Disney, but Tony didn't grow up watching that. (Side rant: what kid hasn't seen all the Disney movies ever made??? So, that's something I'll introduce Jr. and Tony to when we go to Disney World...I just can't budge on that, lol). I'll be the more affectionate parent--Tony wants to spank; I think there are more effective ways to handle bad behavior (it's the psychologist in me). I want to breastfeed, he thought we were going to buy formula. We can't even agree on a baby name! This list goes on forever.
I'm working on getting out of being such a worry wart---it's my mid-year resolution. I'm confident that Tony will be an absolute great father. He's good with the kids I've seen him with, anyway lol. We have two personalities that will turn this kid into a strong, loving, organized, nonchalant, friendly, hardworking member of society. Who knew, 4 years ago that I'd be having your baby, Baby?? I love you, Happy 4 years today... ***thank you God for linking me to this wonderful man for at least another 18 years (haha)*** .

This is Flyy Preggo, OUT!

2 comments:

  1. Matt and I are complete opposites too and we work! We had never lived together until we got married bc of long distance, but we already knew everything about each other so it was no biggie. Waaaaay more ups than downs. I'm sure it will be the same for ya! Y'all will be great parents together :)

    ReplyDelete