Saturday, July 17, 2010

Showers and Shopping...

I went to a baby shower for one of my sorority sisters last weekend (shout out to the Lennons! and baby Gabby:)). It was really nice; the setting was a restaurant in Charlotte, NC. As guests, we sat in a quaint section at the rear of the establishment with good food and conversation; lovely parting gifts awaited us at our seats. It was really classy, of course I expect nothing less from this particular mom-to-be! Of course throughout, we played fun games...you know the kind where you can't say the word "baby" or you lose your clothes pin? Or the one where we have to unscramble baby-related words. We even had to guess how many peanut M&Ms were in this huge bottle. It was cute---although I didn't win a thing, lol. My favorite part of the shower came: gift time! I always love to see what the new moms are getting for the kids. And Danny (my soror) cleaned up. She now has a myriad of childrens' books, just like she wanted. She got clothes, diapers, hair bows, bath tubs, bibs (organic ones!), wash cloths, teething rings, toys, lullabys, bouncers...I really can't remember everything! And for the mom, breast feeding necessities and a lovely Tiffany's necklace from her husband (I know, really thoughtful right?). It was a fun time, celebrating a new addition to the family. And it got me to thinking about my shower...

I've been pondering the kind of event I want this to be. Should it be a party? Because I thought it may be fun to just have a co-ed shower, get some music and someone to man the grill. Or should it be small and quiet with the ones who are closest to me? Then at least I know people aren't coming just to be nosey, lol. You really just want those who care to help you celebrate. Should I invite Tony? Will he even want to come? Well, he's coming anyway! But I'm not the one planning this little party. Thanks to my best friend, Michele, I don't have to worry about anything but the guest list and looking cute on the day of. I want to accommodate everyone, so I'm thinking sorors are invited, friends, coworkers, family, etc. I'm looking forward to fellowshiping and celebrating...so you're all invited! lol. The other fun part is registering!

Now, I've helped register for baby items with one of my other sorority sisters. It took us about 2.5 hours to get thru the entire store, Buy Buy Baby. It's huge; imagine Bed Bath and Beyond(BBBaby's sister store), but with baby stuff wall to wall! I mean, its different "rooms" range from feeding to toys to furniture to bath to travel. You name it they've got it. And the sales associates tell you when you create a registry to go crazy with the scan gun...we sure did! I saw things in there I wouldn't even think of. The funniest thing was some little triangular cloths just big enough for a baby boy's johnson, if you know what I mean. They come about 5 in a pack, called "Pee Pee Tee Pees". So cute, kind of weird that someone would think of a small shield for the uncontrollable urine as you change your son. Then, we got to the mattress section. We ran into one of the sales associates who knew anything and everything about bedding and such. She was like the Bubba Gump of sleep items for babies. I learned soooo much about mattresses---whether the mattress is made of springs or foam; the different sizes that may or may not grow with the child; the cribs and beds that fit the mattress, which also have to fit the baby. She told us to consider the allergens that may be present in the mattress alone and within the thread counts of sheets. I mean, she went on for a good 45 minutes about this stuff. I just stood there and thought about how much it costs to keep up with all of this when the kid grows. When I was coming up, I'm sure my parents didn't think of these things---my brother and I turned out fine! I digress. I'm thinking of the things I don't want to look stupid for. The things you may look at me crazy for when you go pick up Jr.'s gifts, lol. Just don't judge me for the 50 page registry, lol. This is just another fun-filled part of being pregnant:)

Tony's homegirl plans to throw him a "man -shower". I've never heard of anything like it. All we know is that it'll involve cognac and cigars--no, Tony doesn't smoke...but I find it another opportunity to rack up on diapers! lol. All of these plans have to wait of course; Jr.'s sex will be discovered next month, so stay tuned. In the meantime, you can buy a pack of denim diapers like my homie Afton already did! lol

This is Flyy Preggo, OUT!

1 comment:

  1. I want to accommodate everyone, so I'm thinking sorors are invited, friends, coworkers, family, etc. I'm looking forward to fellowshiping and celebrating...so you're all invited! lol. The other fun part is registering! http://www.memoryfoammattress-guide.org/

    ReplyDelete